Join our Board of Directors and Committees!
We are seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds that reflect populations in our community for our volunteer Board of Directors and committees. The information below provides an overview, which may help you or someone you know choose to submit their nominations and stand for election to the Board at our Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held on September 21st, 2020.
See our Board Frequently Asked Questions for more details about the Board and how it functions.
The Good Companions is an incorporated, charitable organization in Ottawa dedicated to promoting, enhancing and supporting the zest for living, well-being and independence of older adults as well as adults with physical disabilities. The Good Companions is a Seniors’ Active Living Centre as well a Community Support Services Agency. TGC’s more then one hundred programs and services are dedicated to supporting seniors so that they can remain safely in their homes for as long as possible. TGC delivers programs at the Centre as well as in the community. TGC is equity driven and supports LGBTQ seniors, seniors with disabilities, frail and elderly seniors.
A Glimpse of the Work Involved
The Board provides leadership to The Good Companions at a policy and strategic level. With this orientation, the Board creates the vision and goals for the organization, sets strategic directions and ensures that the goals of the organization are met. Board members serve three year terms with possible re-election for a 2nd three year term.
Typically, this involves a commitment of six to eight hours per month. The Board meets monthly and Committees meet as required to provide guidance and support.
Who Should Run for Election?
We invite everyone who is committed to The Good Companions’ mission, vision, values and model of health and well-being to become volunteers on our Board. We particularly welcome those who reflect the rich diversity of people living in our community.
We are looking for people who:
- support TGC’s mission, vision and values as well as our model of health and wellbeing;
- have skills and experience working in seniors services and/or is a senior (65+); or
- have skills and experience in working in the health sector or
- have skills and experience in fundraising or fund development or
- have skills and experience in in accounting, finance, or law, or
- have skills and experience working in advocacy; or
- have skills in property development
- have skills program evaluation: or
- are 18 years of age or older; and
- are currently members of our Centre (or prepared to join as members); and
- can commit to monthly meetings, advocacy, and networking activities for a three year term.
If you are interested in joining our Board of Directors or one of its Committees, you are asked to submit your nomination no later than 12:00 noon on Tuesday, August 10th, 2020. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once the application is received, a member of the Nominating Committee will contact you to arrange for an interview (either in person, as permitted, or via Zoom).
Thank you for your interest in supporting The Good Companions.
The Nominating Committee
TGC Board of Directors